Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rear-ended a Dude in San Francisco

No I'm not kidding. In fact, I'm quite serious. Aghast at the repercussions of a split-second decision, I feel a twinge of bitterness. A coffee that needs cream. Chocolate predating sugar. At this point you should start to question where this train of thought is being derailed.

I was in an accident. Yes, I am OK. The accident was definitely my fault. You know how I drive. You could see it happening to me. I've done it before.

CAVEAT!

Human thought is but a pinprick on the canvas of the grandiose. I am the never-ending fractal that is exuding from this pinprick.

"I'd like insurance in California"

"Please transfer over my insurance from Nevada"

"All seems in order"

"I'm only paying that much, that's a deal"

"Research finished"

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Learn from my mistakes my friends. My contract with the car I once drove and the man excluded one important bullet point; Am I covered for damages to my vehicle? Nay.

Daft! Bollocks! Sod-all! Pillock! Prat! Drongo! Dunny! I surely must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Nong! Seppo! Up a gum tree! I think I might be a wally.

But enough cursing, I done what I done. I've made my mistake and I'll have to pay the price. The reaper has his hands open. He's beckoning to me. He isn't asking for a quarter to pass the time with the great equalizer.

My mind was racing a mile-a-minute. This isn't the Get Up Kids and it certainly isn't 4 minutes long. But what am I complaining for? I'm starting to think more clearly. Could this be the guiding hand? Is this chocolate bittersweet? I should become a true San Franciscan! I should, with bike in hand, join the Bike Coalition. I can raise my hand, nay my fist to the sky to show the world I care. I can ride monthly, not to socialize, but to represent a cause. I can find employment that does not require transportation in this great city. I can dodge the commute. I can sell my ghost of a car. I can live without fear of pollution and/or pestilence. I can make a difference.

Poetics aside, I'm not sure what I am going to do in the future. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my once nice fancy Mazda 3. I may buy a junker (I don't need a nice car). I may quit my job and get a new one in the city. I may do the hour-and-a-half commute on the Caltrain. One thing I have decided on is that I make mistakes and I will now allow those mistakes to make my life any less of an adventure than it currently is.

Now wish me luck in Israel and Egypt. I leave Thursday morning.

No comments: